Sunday 4 August 2013

Metropolitan Shell Suit

Here's some extraordinary art created with a 3D printer by Japanese artist Aki Inomata - miniature acrylic city-shaped shells for hermit crabs.

 
She writes: 'In this piece I gave hermit crabs shelters that I had made for them, and if they liked my shelters, I got them to use them as their shell. I overheard that the land of the former French Embassy in Japan had been French until October 2009; that it was to become Japanese for the following fifty years, and then be returned to France. This concept made me think of hermit crabs, which change their shells. The same piece of land is peacefully transferred from one country to the other. These kinds of things take place without our being aware of it. On the other hand, similar events are not unrelated to us as individuals. For example acquiring nationality, moving, and migration. The hermit crabs wearing the shelters I built for them, which imitate the architecture of various countries, appeared to be crossing various national borders. Though the body of the hermit crab is the same, according to the shell it is wearing, its appearance changes completely. It’s as if they were asking, “Who are you?” '
 
 

 
Do visit her website here. And there's a great little video about the project here:
 
 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment